Sunday, June 26, 2011

Quilts!!!

Last year I had a wonderful idea - make coordinating quilts for the girls so that they would be matchy and cute when they got bunk beds! I even got started WAY in advance and got Avery's finished in time for her birthday. Then, with 6 long months to go before Ella's birthday and the Christmas when the girls would get bunk beds I knew my plan would be realized.

And then, somehow, 6 months passed and Ella's quilt remained uncompleted. Oh sure, the top was made, but it wasn't basted or quilted or bound. PS. Basting,  quilting and binding are my least favorite parts of the quilt making process. And then 6 MORE months passed and it was almost back to Avery's birthday again and still Ella's quilt was just sitting on a shelf.

So my Mom and I decided to have a little quilting bee day (as she was in a similar situation regarding a quilt SHE was making for Ella - poor Ella) and we got to work. I embroidered like the wind and started quilting. The next day - that would be today - I finished quilting and did the binding. Which is seriously amazing for me because I am the slowest quilter in the world.

Ella says she LOVES it. Which she should, because she picked out the back and the binding and it has her name on it and it is pink and flowery. Perfect for Ella!




Avery had to get in on the photo shoot action even though she was wearing jammies!


So here are the quilts together! They have all the same fabrics - part of my collection of vintage sheets. Ella's has more pink and purple and Avery has more green and blue. Similarly, Ella's is bound in pink and Avery's in aqua. The other difference is in the quilting - Avery's is on the diagonal which I love, but it took SO long I couldn't bear to do another quilt the same way. Since I actually wanted to finish Ella's, it is has horizontal quilting with a couple lines up and down. It looks really cute too and was much easier, I wish I would have done both that way :)


Both quilts are backed with a vintage sheet - Ella picked hers out and I picked out Avery's (it was my favorite one, don't tell Ella!)


Both of the quilts have a patch where I embroidered their whole names, their birthdays (because technically they are birthday gifts) and it says "made with love by mommy" because it was!


Even though it ended up taking  a lot longer than necessary, I am really glad I made them and finished them! I think they turned out really cute!

No comments: