Wednesday, March 31, 2010

SPRING!!!

I have declared it to be officially spring in Alaska. And I think I have myself to thank - about a week ago I decided it was spring and so I wouldn't wear a coat anymore. No matter how cold it got in the morning (below freezing this morning) it was spring and a coat was unnecessary. And all my positive thinking paid off because it was beautiful out this afternoon!


Our driveway is completely clear of snow (and I didn't even have to chip ice this year) and the snow in our yard is melting. Which is great. But also gross because it is revealing piles of moose poop that were previously hidden by snow.

We decided to celebrate the warm weather by having our first official snowpants-free outside time. We got some new sidewalk chalk and had a blast.

Here is Ella showing off the chalk, the melting snow and her balance:

While I was sitting on the sidewalk I noticed something amazing and wonderful - GREEN GRASS growing! Never mind that parts of the yard still have 3 feet of snow - GREEN GRASS!!!

The girls thought it was great fun to be outside - Avery was especially happy because she does not like to play outside in the snow.

But Ella was pretty excited too - she bounced up and down the sidewalk a million times.

With a small break for hugging.

And kissing



And we played hide and seek on the front porch.

Then the girls convinced me to get the slide out of the snow and onto the dry grass so they could play even more. Avery is finally big enough to be able to climb up by herself!!!

And to slide down by herself!

Although sometimes she wants help getting up at the bottom. Especially when an overexcited big sister gives her a little help down the slide :)

But Ella has to have her turn too!

Other than one teeny tiny pushing incident the girls did a great job taking turns on the slide.


Ella preferred to jump off the top - more exciting that way. Hopefully Avery won't decide to follow her lead next time!

I am so happy it is spring! Maybe if I start wearing sandals I can make it turn into summer!

No comments: