Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Resolution (Mostly) Down

One of my biggest (potentially unachievable) resolutions is to organize and decorate our house. We have been living here for 18 months but we never really unpacked and put things away. I am ashamed to say there is a pile of boxes, right this minute, sitting in the garage that I have not even touched since we moved in. Shameful I know. In my defense, I was 9 months pregnant when we moved in, and working full time with two busy kids. Never mind that I have been not working for the last couple of months and have had plenty of time to do it :)

Anyway, here is hopefully the first step in making my resolutions happen - cleaning the girls room and sorting out all their millions of toys. Believe me when I tell you their room has been a disaster area lately. So bad I didn't even take a before picture!!! But I did take a picture of the gigantic pile of books I had to sort out and try and fit onto shelves:

But after many hours of diligent work I achieved some success - it is not finished, I still need to make and hang curtains and make matching quilts (but I think that will wait until the girls are ready for bunk beds later this year) but I am happy with my progress and the girls were SO EXCITED when they got home to play in their new clean room!!!

The beautiful rainbow painting above Ella's bed was made by her cousin Riley and was a Birthday present, the poster says "I've Got To Dance!" perfect for my little ballerina, a giant map so we can see where people live (for example Great Ama and Harry Potter), a bulletin board for art, and a mirror to hang up so they can admire themselves when they play dress up:


This dresser is Ella's old changing table. I finally took the changing pad off it and got rid of all the baby stuff. Which was kind of sad, but it is more usable this way. Please note the shelves of books organized by size. I had to hold myself back from alphabetizing them! There is another hundred or so on Ella's night stand and more in a basket by Avery's crib! The little kitchen is Avery's favorite, she has already taken all of the food and dishes out and put them in the shopping cart :)

We hung up Ella's birthday Princess calendar and a fairy princess growth chart. In the shelves are boxes that I painstakingly sorted out all the doll clothes, Barbies, ponies, and all the other little toys that the girls have accumulated. In the white toy box are all the dolls and stuffed animals or "buddies" that are more often than not dressed in Avery's clothes and spread all over the house:

I am glad to have one room (mostly) done. Now I just have to work on the rest of the house!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great room! Decorating is the best part about living somewhere. I love all the other pictures too. Avery is so cute, I want to eat her up!