Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!!!

We had a very nice little New Year's party at our house last night. During which I took absolutely no pictures. I have no idea why, I actually wanted pictures to document the gargantuan cooking undertaking that occurred, and the general busy insanity of the day.

But first, that morning I took the girls to the doctor for their checkups. Both of them, at the same time, by myself, first thing in the morning. I think I must have been insane to think that was a good idea. Actually, what I really thought was, "I don't think they have any shots this visit. It will be good to go right in the morning so the doctor will be on time and we won't have to wait as long." Or something like that.

Well, what really happened is that they BOTH had to get shots that visit. Four each for a grand total of EIGHT SHOTS!!! Yikes. But other than a few moments of crying - Ella was amazingly brave and only cried for a second - the visit went very well. Both girls are doing great!!! The other issue was scheduling. We usually are not even out of bed at 8:30 let alone clean, dressed and across town. But we made it!

After the doctor visit we went home to attempt naps (only partially sucessful, I will give you one guess at who slept and who didn't) and for me to frantically try and clean the house (also only partially sucessful, I started the dishwasher but didn't do anything else) and make a grocery list.

Then, we went to lunch at Moose's Tooth with my friends Dana and Cristy and Tom and Cristy's family. It was sooooo nice to see them again and catch up. And see how big Cristy's kids have gotten! Amazing!!! The girls and I shared a chicken cordeon bleu pizza which had broccoli on it and was delicious.

After a fun and yummy lunch we raced at top speed to the grocery store to get ingredients for our extremely fancy dinner. The grocery store was INSANE but I had excellent shopping karma and found a parking spot, a cart - the last one, and an aisle to check out on where the line was not 10 miles long. I didn't get pearl onions but I was not too upset because I do not like pearl onions anyway. Sucess!!!

When the girls and I got home, Ama was waiting for us and we began our arduous cooking endeavor. We made Bouef Bourgninion from my brand new Julia Childs cook book. We started at around 3:30 in the afternoon. I had read through the recipe before and had in my mind that it took 2.5 - 3 hours to cook. Well, in reality it cooks for that long, but it also takes an additional 1 million hours to prepare it to the point you put it in the oven for 3 hours. Ha! So we ate a little late, both girls had gone to bed already, but it was DELICIOUS!!! So I don't care.

My parents and Cory came over to eat and party. We watched some football - GO CYCLONES!!! - and some hockey, the movie Public Enemies (which was good) and Dick Clarks Rockin Something Something. Aaron had to go to bed early because he had to work, but it was a very nice night after a very busy and insane day.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

No comments: