The girls and I made cookies this morning before naptime. The whole time we were baking Ella kept saying things like "you are the best cooker" and "these will be super delicious!" Probably to butter me up so she could eat the cookies, but maybe because she really thinks I am an excellent baker.
While the cookies were baking I turned on Barefoot Contessa, my favorite cooking show. This week's episode was all about baking so Ella wanted to watch too. The first recipe was for bread. Ella and I have made bread before so she knew what was going on. Until the end when Ina added currants. Ella said "Is she putting CHOCOLATE CHIPS in BREAD?!?!?!" Like that would be the most amazing kind of bread ever! When I told her they were currants and what currants were she just kind of shrugged and said "Eh, chocolate would be super better" (super is Ella's favorite word, she uses it constantly)
The last recipe on the show was for a savory palmier made with puff pastry. Which to me, sounded delicious! When the pastry was being rolled out Ella thought it was for cookie cutter cookies and she was very excited. But then Ina put some pesto on it. Ella gasped in horror and disgust and said "WHAT in the world is that slimy stuff? You would never put something like that on cookies. This lady is a maniac!" The next ingredient was creamy goat cheese. Ella said "well, I like cream, and I like cheese - but I don't know about the goat part." The final ingredient was sun dried tomatoes. Ella hates tomatoes and said "TOMATOES!!! Well, she ruined it. Might as well turn this show off."
I had no idea Ella was such a passionate food critic. We might just have to start watching more Food Network, it was a real learning experience.
PS. I put in a link to the cookies we made - they are the most delicious chocolate chip cookies of all time. Make them immediately!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment